Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Doctor - 6 Month Checkup

Isaac had his six-month checkup at the doctor's office today.  He was given a clean bill of health.  He is 26 1/2 inches long now.  He weighs 16 lbs. 7.5 oz.  I thought he would weigh more, but I guess not!  I was a little concerned because he has dipped below the 50th percentile, where he has been holding steady up until now.  The doctor said he is burning a lot of calories with all of the exercise he's getting now, though, which makes sense.  He doesn't tire as easily as he used to, so he spends much more time on his tummy and practicing sitting.  I suspect he'll start picking up some more weight as he starts to eat more solid foods.  According to the little piece of paper on "what your child should be doing now", they expect Isaac to be eating 3-4 little meals every day.  I don't think I know anyone who was doing that at a mere 6 months, but maybe I'm wrong.  I'm not planning to rush him just because of this piece of paper.  We'll get there when he's ready.


Isaac was less enthusiastic about his sweet potatoes today.  I am not sure if that's just because he was having an off day (it was before we went to the doctor), or because I didn't mix in any water or milk with the potatoes, or because I put in some probiotics and they made him burp.  Anyway, I'm planning to start him on either carrots or avocados tomorrow.  I'll try to remember to take the camera with me for the next meal.


Baby Boy was tested for lead in his blood because our house was built in 1977 and is currently undergoing a remodel.  I guess it's better to be safe than sorry, but I doubt there's any concern.  He was a champ for the thumb prick - he didn't even bat an eyelash.  He cried for his shots this time, though.  Last time, he didn't do anything until the third shot.  This time, he started crying with the second shot and he really cried for the fourth one.  Poor little thing!!!  :o(  He settled down after just a minute once I picked him up.  He was a bit of a handful this evening because he didn't nap at all after we went to the doctor.  The appointment was at 1:50 pm and he usually naps for a couple of hours in the afternoon.  He wasn't overly fussy, but he wasn't particularly chipper, either.  He just seemed restless...  I finally got him to go to bed at about 9:00, even though I started the routine at 7:30.  They were supposed to give him a flu shot today, but I said that I suspect he may have an allergy to eggs.  I probably should have bitten my tongue, since I don't know this for sure, but I'd hate to find out the hard way.  He was breaking out pretty severely after the weekends, when I would have eaten eggs.  That said, the days I had eggs, there was usually also some dairy that sneaked its way in...  The doc is going to check with her allergist and then give me a call back about what to do next.  Meanwhile, apparently I need to schedule an appointment with my own doctor to go get a flu shot.  The things we do for love!  LOL


To end on a high note, here's a little video of Isaac and Jackson yesterday.  As you can see, Isaac is way more excited about this than Jackson is!  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Housing in Leuven

House-hunting in Leuven was quite an experience! We went out with our realtor for 2 consecutive afternoons trying to find a place. The short...